Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Power of Documentation Lies In The Picture

A good picture lends power to documentation. Even before I look at the document that accompanies an experience, I turn to the picture to tell me the story, to identify the learning, to make the connection, to show the child's emotions, interests and expressed theories.
Capturing those perfect moments and the complexity of learning, requires an attentive teacher. One who is actively engaged in the process of constructing knowledge.

While documenting bear in mind that the pictures are just as important as the accompanying discourse and comments. For the parents of the children, the pictures may be more meaningful because most often they observe the pictures rather than read lengthy explanations. Thus, good pictures are crucial to effective documentation.
It is the thinking that you are seeking, that powerful moment when the child makes a connection. Effective pictures tell what the child is learning, thinking or intending to do not just only what he/she is actually doing. Especially with younger children, when language is limited, your pictures are the most powerful documentation tool. Ensure good visibility to the child’s face.Facial expressions will tell their story.

Digital cameras allow you to take many photos so snap away. When you have a quiet moment you can select the ones that demonstrate the process best.
 
 Group pictures are equally as important in the constructing and deconstructing of theories. This is especially true with older children where much happens in group discourse and work. 

10 comments:

  1. Priceless pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! Great children...they build very well!Great construters!
    Kiss, Teresa (I´m a kindergarten in Portugal...see our blog PrĂ© Azul http://preazul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a good picture, I think there is no definition, as long as the picture tells us the story of the child,including his emotion and thinking to construct a theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, you can really see how much they enjoyed building with the wooden blocks and how good it makes them feel~Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. The structures the children have created are so amazing! What hugh imaginations and great creativity! Great job gentlemen!!!!!! Hmmmmmmm, what will they build next?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What captured my attention - in each photo - was the expression on each child's face. You documented the complete and total engagement of each child. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you! I have many pictures of my students and their play/work! I just started a blog, but my biggest fear was how I was going to present it? What was I going to say? To me it is clear what a child is learning or achieved through the picture. But when it comes to words, I don't really know how to explain it. Thanks for the info here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I am just starting my career in education and still figuring out what exactly it is I want to do with all this passion I have for art and working with children, especially special needs and autistic children. Your website is so inspirational. Next school year I hope to be working with birth through kindergarten children in a Reggio inspired facility--and this website makes me want that even more. I really appreciate all the info you have on here--I can't even begin to imagine how busy you must be! Thanks for all your time and dedication to foster creativity in children and even more with us and how we interact with children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you all the best in your career-when we honour childhood anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another thing that is interesting is capturing two or three pictures that show the process of doing something -- you can think about what the child noticed or discovered when you see what they have changed in their construction or project.

    ReplyDelete